Error setting locale in python

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Thu Jul 22 13:22:36 PDT 2010

+ Bryan Blackburn <blb at macports.org>:

> Do you have anything else in your env that could be affecting the locale
> stuff?  If I use those LANG/LC settings you've listed, the MacPorts python
> seems okay with it:
>
> % env LANG= LC_COLLATE="C" LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8" LC_MESSAGES="C" LC_MONETARY="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_ALL= /mp/bin/python2.6

I get the same result if I clear the environment using env - ...
All the variables whose values are listed as "C" were actually not
set; but setlocale reports them as "C". Not that it matters: Setting
them to "C" does not change anything either.

> Though this is on 10.6, whereas I'm guessing you're on an earlier
> version since the gcc listed for your build is 4.0.1.

You're right, this is on 10.5.8. The macports tree is quite recent
however, about a week since I upgraded.

- Harald