Gnuplot Library Issues

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 23 20:15:11 PDT 2010

On Jul 23, 2010, at 21:46, Anthony Michael Agelastos wrote:

> I am having some Gnuplot/Freetype/Octave issues that I would greatly appreciate help with.
>
> I have 2 Mac machines, one's a 64-bit iMac and one's a 32-bit MacBook Pro.  Both are running Snow Leopard with all of the software fully updated (except I just saw that Xcode was updated to 3.2.3... I am running 3.2.2).  Anyways, on my 32-bit laptop, when I am in Octave (not MacPorts' Octave since it won't build,

Is there a ticket for this already?

> but from octave.sf.net), and I try to plot something, I get the following error from my MacPorts-installed gnuplot.  Do you have any suggestions?  I have the same software stack on my 64-bit iMac and it does not have this problem.  I am running the latest XQuartz in case that is pertinent.
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/ldyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/gnuplot
>  Reason: Incompatible library version: gnuplot requires version 12.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
> ocal/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/gnuplot
>  Reason: Incompatible library version: gnuplot requires version 12.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
> error: you must have gnuplot installed to display graphics; if you have gnuplot installed in a non-standard location, see the 'gnuplot_binary' function

MacPorts libfreetype.6.dylib currently provides version 12.0.0. Do you possibly have an environment variable whose name begins with "DYLD" set pointing at a directory containing an older version of libfreetype? Or is your libfreetype somehow not the correct architecture?