Functionality like "yum whatprovides" in MacPorts?

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Mon Jul 26 08:19:47 PDT 2010

On Jul 25, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Jon Hermansen wrote:

> Hello all,
>  I'm trying to find out what package includes the executable
> 'md5sum' but have (as of yet) been unable to find it. YUM provides a
> "whatprovides" function where I can provide a path (with wildcards,
> eg "*/md5sum" and it will return the binary package that contains
> it. Does MacPorts retain some function that tracks installed files

bash-3.2# port provides /opt/local/bin/*uto*
/opt/local/bin/autoconf is provided by: autoconf
/opt/local/bin/autoconf213 is provided by: autoconf213
/opt/local/bin/autoheader is provided by: autoconf
/opt/local/bin/autoheader213 is provided by: autoconf213
/opt/local/bin/autom4te is provided by: autoconf
/opt/local/bin/automake is provided by: automake
/opt/local/bin/automake-1.11 is provided by: automake
/opt/local/bin/autopoint is provided by: gettext
/opt/local/bin/autoreconf is provided by: autoconf
/opt/local/bin/autoreconf213 is provided by: autoconf213
/opt/local/bin/autoscan is provided by: autoconf
/opt/local/bin/autoscan213 is provided by: autoconf213
/opt/local/bin/autoupdate is provided by: autoconf
/opt/local/bin/autoupdate213 is provided by: autoconf213
/opt/local/bin/gnome-autogen.sh is provided by: gnome-common

// Brad