MAMP Question based on tutorial Scott Haneda

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Thu Jul 29 03:07:53 PDT 2010

On Jul 29, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Jasper Frumau wrote:

> I decided to finally make pma work using Scott's tutorial @ http://dl.dropbox.com/u/340087/drops/01.04.10/mamp/MAMP%20Tutorial.html .

That wasn't really my intention, it was to help with MySql.

> I copied all files to /opt/local/www/ usinf cp -R(many directories).

You can also just download and move the dir in place which saves a little time.

> I made adjustments in httpd.con, restarted apache using sudo /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl -k restart (command could maybe be added to tut just in case someone does not know).

It is probably easier to use the port load/unload methods, or if you don't want to interrupt service, issue `apachectl graceful` though I have added Apache's bin to my $PATH, if you have not, continue with full path rferneces.  I think I also chmod 0'd Apples apachectl, or at least aliased it to the MacPorts one.  Weird things can happen when they both are trying to compete for port/IP space.

> And then I got this error:
>
> jasper$ sudo /opt/local/apache2/bin/apachectl -k restart
> httpd not running, trying to start
> (48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80

Are you 100% sure that Apple's Apache is not also running?  It seems restarts fix a lot of things for you, leading me to believe that Apple's Apache is getting started on the command line, then a reboot is turning it back off, then MacPorts launchd item kicks in, and things start working.  I would also look to the error_log and see what else it has to say.  And look at the Apple Apache error log as well, if there is anything in there, and you have never started it before, then you know where to start looking to solve at least one issue.

Hope that helps some, and off to bed.
--
Scott (* For off-list contact, replace talklists@ with scott@ *)