really old port version is broken - not sure why

Vijay Santhanam vijay.santhanam at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 05:44:19 PDT 2010

I tried "port" at bash prompt and receive an error (see below) I'm not sure
how to deal with.

The software on this computer has been migrated from machine to machine to
machine since I've used the ports.

What should I do to get macports working again for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated

-------THE ERROR --------------

iSlab:~/port
dlopen(/opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib, 10): no
suitable image found.  Did find:
/opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib: mach-o, but wrong
architecture
    while executing
"load /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib"
    ("package ifneeded Pextlib 1.0" script)
    invoked from within
"package require Pextlib 1.0"
    (procedure "dportinit" line 311)
    invoked from within
"dportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: Failed to initialize ports system,
dlopen(/opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib, 10): no
suitable image found.  Did find:
 /opt/local/share/darwinports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib: mach-o, but
wrong architecture

-V