atlas depends on gcc43 *and* gcc44 ???

Stephen Langer stephen.langer at nist.gov
Wed Jun 2 14:13:20 PDT 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Is there a downside to having atlas depend on gcc44 while everything
>> else depends on gcc43?
>
> Its just a little annoying that a package like atlas, which is a dependency of a dependency.... drags in a big build like gcc when I have no other reason for it... I understand that some packages may need a newer compiler than the standard OSX ones, but it would be nice if they could agree on which one ;)

I was wondering why anything depends on atlas at all.  Is atlas noticeably better than the lapack and blas routines in the Accelerate framework?  I couldn't find any comparisons on-line.

 -- Steve

--
-- stephen.langer at nist.gov                    Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
-- http://math.nist.gov/mcsd/Staff/SLanger/   Fax: (301) 975-3553 --

-- "I don't think this will work.  That's why it's science."      --
--                     Naomi Langer (age 6),  17 Feb 2003         --