How to set temporary directory to external disk?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 10 01:29:47 PDT 2010

On Jun 10, 2010, at 03:24, Jiří Navrátil wrote:

> I can't compile qt4-mac package, because I have only 6 GB free space and that's not enough. How I can set compilation (working files) to external drive?
>
> I was trying to use these environment variables, but without success.
>
> export portbuildpath=/Volumes/EXTERNAL/tmp
> export workpath=/Volumes/EXTERNAL/tmp1
> export worksrcpath=/Volumes/EXTERNAL/tmp2

I don't know that we have a supported way to do that. You could try making /opt/local/var/macports/build a symlink to a directory on your external disk. But I haven't tested that.

If that doesn't work, you could instead move some data from your internal drive to your external drive to free up space.