perl error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 12 20:07:27 PDT 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 19:17, John B Brown wrote:

> 	perl-5.8.9 refuses to download.
>
> jbb at pinball3:~/MacPorts
> (31): % sudo port install ghostscript
> --->  Computing dependencies for ghostscript
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: autoconf help2man p5-locale-gettext perl5 perl5.8 m4 automake cairo fontconfig freetype zlib libpixman libpng pkgconfig xrender xorg-libX11 xorg-bigreqsproto xorg-inputproto xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-util-macros xorg-xcmiscproto xorg-xextproto xorg-xf86bigfontproto xorg-xtrans xorg-renderproto jpeg libpaper libtool tiff xorg-libXext xorg-libXt xorg-libsm xorg-libice
> --->  Fetching perl5.8
> --->  Attempting to fetch perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2 from http://www.cpan.org/src/

And what happens then? It hangs? It generates an error?

> 	I went to http://www.cpan.org/src and downloaded the .gv package directly. How do I use that for the source for the perl port?

I don't think you mean ".gv package"; I think you mean the .tar.gz file? If so, that's not the file the port expects; it expects a .tar.bz2 file, as you can see from the output above. Download the expected .tar.bz2 file and put it in /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/perl5.8