GCC44, GCC45, GCC46 - Whats the point?

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 12:41:55 PDT 2010

Seriously...what is the point of even having gcc44, gcc45, gcc46 in
Macports, if we can't even use the newest compilers inside of Macports?

I mean, I spend the hours building it, because there are features and
enhancements in gcc 4.4 that I would like to use in other apps. But, after
waiting all this time for gcc44 to build, then searching for some way to
force Macports to use the newly built compiler...I end up with the dreaded:
"configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables" error.

ryandesign says forcing Macports to use a non-Xcode compiler is unsupported.

So ... !!

What is the point of having gcc44 in the Macports tree, if I can't even use
it to build other Macports with?

Why doesn't Macports make the gcc44+ ports use the same patching that Apple
does, and then build it the same way Apple does natively -- so we can
freaking use the newer compiler?

I don't expect this thread to go far, if at all.  But I just wanted to state
that it is useless, mind-numbing, and tediously unnecessary to make us
believe we can build gcc44+ to use as the default compiler under Macports,
when it just isn't possible to begin with.

I want my wasted CPU cycles back please!

--
Jeff