macports-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 16

jjstickel at vcn.com jjstickel at vcn.com
Wed Jun 16 07:39:19 PDT 2010

> Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:26:54 -0500
> From: Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
> To: Jim Busser <jbusser at interchange.ubc.ca>
> Cc: MacPorts Users <macports-users at lists.macosforge.org>
> Subject: Re: py26-wxpython trouble (even without pgAdmin3)
>
> On Jun 15, 2010, at 15:23, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Jun 15, 2010, at 15:21, Jim Busser wrote:
>>
>>> The variant defaults to gtk (vs carbon) but I don't grasp their
>>> relation to X11.
>>>

>>> 	wxGTK port
>>
>> This is what the gtk variant uses.
>>
>>> 	wxMac port
>>
>> This is what the carbon variant uses.
>
> gtk2, in turn, by default uses X11. gtk2 has no_x11 and quartz
> variants which can be used (together? separately? I don't know) to
> have gtk2 use Quartz methods instead of X11. But I don't know if
> py26-wxpython can use a gtk2 that isn't using X11, or if it can,
> whether that's better than using its carbon variant. If you want to
> try the no_x11 and/or quartz variants, you probably have to first
> uninstall all ports; using those variants is a decision you need to
> make at the beginning, before anything is installed.

Please see http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24350 for a more detailed
explanation.  The gtk variant is currently the default because the
carbon backend will not build 64 bit, which causes some problems on
Snow Leopard.  I see that you sent another post that your attempt to
build the carbon variant is failing, likely for this reason.
Eventually, the wxwidgets/wxpython developers will make a stable
release with cocoa support, and then x11/gtk will not be needed.

HTH,
Jonathan