Adding configure options when installing a port

Stephen Langer stephen.langer at nist.gov
Wed Jun 16 11:53:48 PDT 2010

On Jun 16, 2010, at 2:29 PM, Scott Webster wrote:

>>> Edit the portfile. configure.args-append is a procedure, not a variable.
>>> You can set variables on the command line but you can't call procedures.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> It does seem rather a sledgehammer to crack a nut, though.
>>

> It seems that it would be fairly straightforward to add an empty
> default keyword, eg. configure.extraargs, that would enable this sort
> of thing, but changing the Portfile isn't so hard either.

Allowing changes via keywords would be a lot simpler to explain to third party users.    If a portfile is modified, will the modification be lost when that port is upgraded?  Could the extraargs value be saved and automatically applied to future builds?

We distribute a program (not via macports or fink) that relies on external libraries that can be installed by macports or fink.  Currently, one of the libraries won't work with our code unless it's built with an argument not provided by the default macports or fink installation.  For my local copy, I placed a modified portfile a local portfile repository, but I'm sure that many of our users will have trouble doing that.  Being able to tell them to run a one-line script (sudo port install thislib --extraargs=--dotherightthing) would be great.

(If there's a simpler way to do what I'm doing, please let me know. I'm fairly new to macports.)

 -- Steve

--
-- stephen.langer at nist.gov                    Tel: (301) 975-5423 --
-- http://math.nist.gov/mcsd/Staff/SLanger/   Fax: (301) 975-3553 --

-- "I don't think this will work.  That's why it's science."      --
--                     Naomi Langer (age 6),  17 Feb 2003         --