Space used in /opt/local/var/macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 18 23:15:24 PDT 2010

On Jun 19, 2010, at 01:00, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

> How much of /opt/local/var/macports can be cleaned up?
>
> Kleiman-ibook:macports michael$ du -s *
> 29716	build
> 497644	distfiles
> 0	logs
> 0	packages
> 12	port-help.tcl
> 4540	receipts
> 0	registry
> 2241476	software
> 92544	sources
>
> That's over 2 gig in software, and half a gig in distfiles.

"software" is the end result of all the ports you've installed; don't clean that up except by "sudo port uninstall"ing whatever ports you no longer want to have installed.

Feel free to remove any "distfiles" you don't want to keep; MacPorts will re-download them as needed. I posted a script here (deleteolddistfiles) a day or two ago that I use to remove distfiles older than a certain age; this lets me keep recent distfiles around in case I need to rebuild a port, but clears out distfiles unlikely to be used again.

Remove everything in "build" if you like; this contains in-progress builds of ports. If a build fails, the build directory remains.