Almost there was Re: wxWidgets was Re: tk problem was Re: py26-wxpython trouble

Jim Busser jbusser at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Jun 19 21:54:51 PDT 2010

On 2010-06-19, at 9:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> If your MacBook is 32-bit then why are you trying to build py26-wxpython for x86_64?

No doubt  I do not yet fully enough understand what I am doing :-)

> Are you *sure* your MacBook is 32-bit?
> What is the output of "sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable"?

Apologies that you pointed me to this 5 days ago, and I misread the returned "1" to mean "just" 32-bit, whereas it actually meant 64 bit

> What is build_arch set to in macports.conf?

#build_arch			x86_64

Does it mean that if I would like Mac-native rather than X11*and* if the medical software I's like to use will need

	py26-wxpython
		(which needs wxWidgets-python which for carbon is only i386)
	py26-psycopg2 +postgresql84
	py26-mx-base
	texlive

then it is still possible to build 32 bit, but I need to uninstall MacPorts, and would set build_arch to i386 and maybe re-use the workarounds mentioned including

	sudo port -d install cairo +no_x11 +quartz gtk2 +no_x11 +quartz

and would setting build_arch thusly impose on me cautions in using MacPorts, e.g. avoid trying to install anything Universal?

Thanks so much -- Jim