gcc 4x not building under i386 thereby preventing python26, wxWidgets 32-bit

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jun 21 14:32:38 PDT 2010

On Jun 21, 2010, at 13:50, Jim Busser wrote:

> Still aiming to enable software (that depends on wxWidgets) to run under Carbon, I set my MacBook's (MacPorts 1.9.1) build_arch to i386 however that errors on trying to build gcc (appended) ... not unlike a variety of existing tickets going back several months:

Let's give these tickets some titles so it's easier to see what they are:

> 	http://trac.macports.org/ticket/20993

gcc40 fails to build on Snow Leopard

> 	http://trac.macports.org/ticket/21059

llvm-gcc42 at 2.5 Build fails on SL -- Xcode: 3.2 (1610)

> 	http://trac.macports.org/ticket/22203

gcc42 installation problem on snow leopard (while installing opendx)

> 	http://trac.macports.org/ticket/23109

gcc43 won't build as 32 bit

> 	http://trac.macports.org/ticket/23200

gcc42 build failure on puredarwin

> 	http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24194

gcc42, gcc43, gcc44 won't compile with non-default build_arch

> Do people familiar with these problems regard their root (and solutions) to reside in and among the MacPorts community, or with the gcc community or Apple and whether the ability to build i386 is coming any time soon (or of a fix I missed in the tickets)?

So. The only tickets that actually have anything to do with building gcc for a nonstandard build_arch are #23109 and #24194. I would say it is up to the developers of gcc to enable their software to compile for a different architecture.

> [...]
> DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_lang_python26/work/Python-2.6.5" && /usr/bin/make -j2 all MAKE="/usr/bin/make CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2"'
> /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -L/opt/local/lib -arch i386  Parser/acceler.o Parser/grammar1.o Parser/listnode.o Parser/node.o Parser/parser.o Parser/parsetok.o Parser/bitset.o Parser/metagrammar.o Parser/firstsets.o Parser/grammar.o Parser/pgen.o Objects/obmalloc.o Python/mysnprintf.o Parser/tokenizer_pgen.o Parser/printgrammar.o Parser/pgenmain.o -ldl  -framework CoreFoundation -o Parser/pgen
> ld: warning: in Parser/acceler.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/grammar1.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/listnode.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/node.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/parser.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/parsetok.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/bitset.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/metagrammar.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/firstsets.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/grammar.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/pgen.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Objects/obmalloc.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Python/mysnprintf.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/tokenizer_pgen.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/printgrammar.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)
> ld: warning: in Parser/pgenmain.o, file was built for unsupported file format which is not the architecture being linked (i386)

This log shows a failure of python26 to build, not of any gcc port. The ticket for this problem is:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24383

python26 does not enforce build_arch

This, in turn, is up to the developers of python to fix, if they desire to do so.