A word on Trac ticket submissions...

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 11:52:10 PDT 2010

Thanks for the reply.

FYI .. the whole "refund" thing doesn't work on me, and probably doesn't
with most seasoned tech-heads.

I understand the "free" aspect, but when people use something on a large
scale, free or not free, expectations still have to be met or else there is
risk of dead-pooling the project.

And I do try everything I can at fixing the issue (see the Trac ticket I
mentioned in the original post).
But I am not a coder by profession...I just know how to figure problems out
using any available resource.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Jeff Singleton wrote:
> > But I would think the maintainer should be "maintaining" which should
> include the random test builds to ensure everything still works.
>
> As a maintainer, I do a bunch of testing before I do an update to a port. I
> rarely test it between updates, however.
>
> You are welcome to a 100% refund of what you've paid me to maintain any
> ports I touch, though ;-)
>
> > And when the port is broken due to upstream issues, then it should be
> marked broken and force a working version to be used instead or a note
> stating what the issue is.
>
> We've had several ports in the past where MacPorts has reverted to an older
> working version if an update has caused cross-port issues (something that's
> broken by itself shouldn't end up being committed - but mistakes do happen).
>
> > I know there are others like me, who tinker, and aren't afraid to start
> over in the effort of learning.  One thing I always do when something is
> broken in Macports, is check with the upstream provider for newer code, try
> compiling it manually, and see what is causing it to be broken in Macports.
>  If I can figure it out, then I tend to submit a bug/email.
>
> That's really helpful, and I'm sure the community appreciates your efforts
> to make things better for everyone. Just knowing that something is broken is
> helpful as well (but if you can find the problem and offer a solution,
> that's always the best option).
>
> --
> Daniel J. Luke
> |   Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily   |
> |          reflect the opinions of my employer.          |

Your HTML signature here