Using Macports With Already Installed Python

Faisal Moledina faisal.moledina at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 09:38:25 PDT 2010

I forgot to send my original message to the mailing list. Anyway, what
I do is use python_select to choose Macports python26 port, and try to
install whatever packages that I can through Macports. For those that
don't work, such as pywt and perhaps cython in your case, I
easy_install them in my home prefix in ~/py2.6. That way I can just
either

easy_install package --prefix=~/py2.6

or

python setup.py install --prefix=~/py2.6

Then, set PYTHONPATH=~/py2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages and you
should be good. I currently use that for Pytables, for which the 2.2
beta and rc versions are not yet available in Macports.

Faisal