Need clarification on install procedure

Bill Christensen billc_lists at greenbuilder.com
Tue Jun 29 00:10:44 PDT 2010

Hi folks,

The other day I attempted to clone a working MAMP server from a G4
PPC to an Intel machine and discovered that I basically need to
reinstall everything from scratch to get the intel versions.  Yes,
I've now read the page on migrating.  I'll probably just do a fresh
install of 10.6.4.  I've also scanned through the archives from the
past year and it appears that the dbs are now installed separately
from Apache.   So before I go and bang my head against this again, I
figured I'd double check on the correct procedure.

This time around I'll be installing:

Apache2
MySQL5
PHP5
Postgresql84

Last time through (a bit over a year ago) I had to install Apache,
then MySQL5 +server, then PHP5 +MySQL +Apache2, then tweak the php
config file to include mysql, uninstall PHP, then reinstall  PHP5
+MySQL +Apache2.  Is that no longer the case?  Does the install order
matter? Is there anything I need to look out for with PostgreSQL?

I'll also be installing the following:

GD2
Imagemagick
Postfix