Port installation time

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 5 07:25:32 PST 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 18:02, syed zubair wrote:

> I am attaching the zipped text of the output. I hope it contains
> enough information for you. Greetings

Ok, from your output, gzip is having trouble building its documentation:

Making all in doc
Updating ./version.texi
  MAKEINFO gzip.info
gzip.texi:85: Unknown command `abbr'.
gzip.texi:85: Misplaced {.
gzip.texi:85: Misplaced }.
[snip]
makeinfo: Removing output file `gzip.info' due to errors; use --force to preserve.

So I guess whatever program gzip uses to generate its documentation is not working. That program is probably some part of the texinfo package. A version of this is provided with Mac OS X, there is a port in MacPorts, and you may have installed a copy manually e.g. in /usr/local. Perhaps this will ring a bell with you. If not, check if you have the texinfo port installed. If so, try uninstalling it. Or, check /usr/local/bin for programs whose names begin with "tex"; if you find them, remove them.