port load and unload commands with respect to MySql

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Fri Mar 5 07:51:46 PST 2010

On 2010-03-05 , at 01:34 , Scott Haneda wrote:

> Am I reading the MySql docs wrong about layout at ( http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/installation-layouts.html ) ?

Probably ;-)

"A distribution provided by another vendor might use a layout different from those shown here."

You could choose to use Apple's layout (bad for macports), any one of the different "standard" layouts from the various Unix flavors out there, or you could take control like a good DBA/sysadmin.

Note: I have been the DBA/sysadmin for production databases since the late 1980's for multiple database systems,
(Sybase, Oracle/Rdb, now MySQL). The following is my professional opinion.

Database "files" and database "logs" should never be stored on the same physical disk.

Don't use "standard" locations for your database files (this is a MySQL thing) - move them somewhere where a "default" installation won't touch them.

A simple set of defaults placed in

	/etc/my.cnf

will keep you happy, no matter which version of MySQL you use (meaning Apple supplied, macports supplied, MySQL supplied)

	[mysqld]
	datadir=/Volumes/Media/mysql

The logs will wind up in the "vendor" specified places. The data is on your "data" volume.

For further "goodness" you should specify --innodb_file_per_table and keep the InnoDB tables from all "magically" winding up in the same file!

8)