port load and unload commands with respect to MySql

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri Mar 5 13:33:35 PST 2010

On Mar 5, 2010, at 9:49 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Mar 5, 2010, at 11:54 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>> Is innoDB really that binary a decision? Its been a while, but I used to decide based purely on need of transactions.
>
> It's hard for me to understand why anyone would want a traditional rdbms without transaction support (but I suppose that's why I've never really been a mysql user).
>
>> I've got a few large databases, adding a GB a day now, willing to convert them, but will have to start some pretty serious research. We already have a hard time keeping up with the data, and are looking towards Amazon and all the other providers of database in that cloud thing I hear about.
>
> Depending on your other requirements, you might want to at least take a look at postgres. It has just about the fastest insert performance of anything you're likely to be looking at (I have an optimized instance for $WORK that peaks at about 30,000 rows inserted per second on fairly regular hardware).

Cool, thanks.  I have needed an excuse to learn it.  I suppose the syntax is not that far off from MySql.  I used to use MySql and not even look at Pg because the MySql community was so large.  In all reality, there is more traffic on the MP user list than MySql users mailing list.

Thanks for the nudge, next project I will give it a try.