current MacPorts SVN checkout fails to execute 'org.macports.activate' without root privileges

~suv suv-sf at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 15 03:56:21 PDT 2010

System Version:	Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)
Xcode version 3.1.4
MacPorts: 1.8.99, r64708
configuration of MacPorts:
./configure \
  --prefix=$LeWitt_PREFIX \
  --with-tclpackage=$LeWitt_tclpackage \
  --with-applications-dir=$LeWitt_applications_dir \
  --with-frameworks-dir=$LeWitt_framework_dir \
  --with-install-user=me \
  --with-install-group=staff \
  --with-macports-user=me \
  --enable-readline

Issue: after updating MacPorts installed from SVN sources 'port upgrade
outdated' fails to activate the upgraded ports:

> :info:install Warning: the following items did not execute (for xorg-util-macros): org.macports.activate

Previously this had worked without issues - the failure only happens
since I updated the MacPorts SVN checkout today from r64197 to r64708:

> $ port sync
> $ port outdated
> The following installed ports are outdated:
> openssh                        5.3p1_0 < 5.4p1_0
> sqlite3                        3.6.22_0 < 3.6.23_0
> xorg-util-macros               1.6.0_0 < 1.6.1_0
> $ port upgrade outdated
> Warning: MacPorts running without privileges. You may be unable to complete certain actions (e.g. install).
  (…)
> --->  Computing dependencies for xorg-util-macros
> --->  Fetching xorg-util-macros
> --->  Attempting to fetch util-macros-1.6.1.tar.bz2 from http://lil.fr.distfiles.macports.org/xorg-util-macros
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for xorg-util-macros
> --->  Extracting xorg-util-macros
> --->  Configuring xorg-util-macros
> --->  Building xorg-util-macros
> --->  Staging xorg-util-macros into destroot
> --->  Computing dependencies for xorg-util-macros
> --->  Installing xorg-util-macros @1.6.1_0
> MacPorts requires root privileges for this action
> Log for xorg-util-macros is at: /Volumes/blue/mp-inkscape/with-a-long-long-long-directory-name/var/macports/logs/_Volumes_blue_mp-inkscape_with-a-long-long-long-directory-name_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_x11_xorg-util-macros/main.log

Is there a way to continue using MacPorts (SVN checkout) to install and
activate ports without root privileges as was possible before updating
trunk/base from r64197 to r64708? Or will this be no longer supported in
the next MacPorts version?

~suv

attachments:
- configure setup for building and installing MacPorts trunk/base
- log file from upgrading xorg-util-macros to @1.6.1_0