Simple question about ncurses and ncursesw

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Mon Mar 15 08:49:12 PDT 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 12:51 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2010, at 08:49, Tabitha McNerney wrote:
>>>
>>> ncursesw provides wide-character support. But usually we want
>>> both, wide
>>> and narrow characters, thus we need to compile the library twice
>>> with
>>> different configure flags (--enable-widec for ncursesw). A
>>> Portfile can
>>> only handle one run of configure/make/make install, therefore we
>>> need
>>> two Portfiles for this.
>>
>> Thank you for answering this question. It seems that this is a
>> restriction imposed based on how MacPorts were designed. If someone
>> were to build ncurses with both wide and narrow characters from the
>> same single source tarball, would they also have to do something
>> similar with ./configure that is analogous to MacPorts treatment of
>> two separate port files, or would it be feasible to just do this
>> all at once?
>
> Based on what Rainer said, it sounds like you need to configure,
> build, and install twice: once each for narrow and wide character
> support.

I think it will be rare enough that MacPorts needs to accomodate this
scenario. Rare enough it would not be worth a change to the MP base to
add multiple compile stages.

If this is common with ncurses, why would ncurses simply not go
forward with a flag of --with-wide-and-narrow or whatever.

Perhaps that is where the bug report needs to be focused? Is there any
reason that would be objectionable?

How does this even work? If I build software x with foo support and
then build it again with widefoo support, the foo version will be
overwritten and I end up with just foowide. Or, I otherwise end up
with the last options of which I installed. Installing by hand has
always meant a new install, not an appending ofan existing install,
sans config files perhaps. Aside from making a second installation
prefix.

I suppose a config file to enable wide character support would be
another option.

I'm curious why this is this way from an ncurses perspective? I seem
to recall that ncurses is one that takes a long while to install no
less.

(Sent from a mobile device)