ipython with macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 16 07:23:06 PDT 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 08:53, Claus wrote:

> I just installed macports including python-26 and the packages numpy, scipy, matplotlib and pymc -- and ipython.
> I'm running OS 10.6.2
>
> Some things work really well
>
> 	which python
> returns
> 	/opt/local/bin/python
>

> I can start python.
> I can run scripts from within TextMate, TextMate even knows automatically, to use the macports python version.
>
> However, when I run
> 	python
> from within Terminal, and then try to
>
> 	import numpy
>
> (output at the bottom of this post)
> python still wants to use my (still existing) fink version of numpy.
> The same behaviour occurs for all all packages and also from within ipython.
>
> How can I change this so that python (the macport python) uses the macport site-packages?

Uninstall Fink and all software installed with it. It is not supported to have software installed by both MacPorts and Fink at the same time. Use one package manager or the other, not both simultaneously.

I don't know that uninstalling Fink will instantly fix this particular problem for you, but it's a necessary first step.