Need help diagnosing a digikam / imagemagick bug

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Tue Mar 16 10:24:26 PDT 2010

On Mar 15, 2010, at 19:58 , Jürgen Starek wrote:
> wouldn't be better to set the path globally in /etc/launchd.conf
> during the installation of MacPorts. I suspect that similar problems
> should exist for all programs using imagemagick, and adding /opt/
> local/bin/ to the PATH systemwide should prevent all these problems
> in one go, shouldn't it?

Except that then you have the potential for system procedures using
MacPorts programs when they're expecting system programs that may
potentially behave differently; this is why MacPorts enforces a
separation between the two (e.g. building its own Perl and Python
instead of installing modules into the system ones) to start with.

(Seen in a different circumstance but worth keeping in mind:  a
coworker pushed a new GNU coreutils out to Linux hosts, which had an
incompatible "hostname" command.  Next morning all the Linux boxes had
decided their hostname was "-s".  [Cleaning this up was "fun".]  This
is why you want to make sure the system uses its own programs by
default.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu