Perl 5.8 dependency?

S.M. Protsman protsman at mac.com
Wed Mar 17 11:33:08 PDT 2010

I'm running Macports Perl v5.10.1. I do not have a 5.8 variant
installed (other than Apple's). When I ran an update this morning
Macports tries to install 5.8.9_3, which of course, fails to install/
activate. I'm not certain what is dependent upon 5.8.9 but would
rather see everything bumped to 5.10. Suggestions?

@naiad ~] sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.5.8
BuildVersion:   9L30

Output:

--->  Updating the ports tree
--->  Updating MacPorts base sources using rsync
MacPorts base version 1.8.2 installed,
MacPorts base version 1.8.2 downloaded.
--->  MacPorts base is already the latest version

The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you
should run
   port upgrade outdated
--->  Computing dependencies for m4
--->  Fetching m4
--->  Attempting to fetch m4-1.4.14.tar.bz2 from http://distfiles.macports.org/m4
--->  Attempting to fetch m4-1.4.14.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.dti.ad.jp/pub/GNU/m4
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for m4
--->  Extracting m4
--->  Configuring m4
--->  Building m4
--->  Staging m4 into destroot
--->  Deactivating m4 @1.4.13_0
--->  Computing dependencies for m4
--->  Installing m4 @1.4.14_0
--->  Activating m4 @1.4.14_0
--->  Cleaning m4
--->  Computing dependencies for perl5.8
--->  Fetching perl5.8
--->  Attempting to fetch perl-5.8.9.tar.bz2 from http://www.cpan.org/src/
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for perl5.8
--->  Extracting perl5.8
--->  Applying patches to perl5.8
--->  Configuring perl5.8
--->  Building perl5.8
--->  Staging perl5.8 into destroot
--->  Installing perl5.8 @5.8.9_3
--->  Activating perl5.8 @5.8.9_3
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
bin/a2p is being used by the active perl5.10 port.  Please deactivate
this port first, or use 'port -f activate perl5.8' to force the
activation.
Error: Problem while installing perl5.8
Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag
to get complete output.