Perl 5.8 dependency?

Matrix Mole matrixm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 11:45:36 PDT 2010

I don't know much about perl myself, so I'm just tossing out basic
troubleshooting with what little information I do know about the port
system itself.

You can run 'port dependents perl5.8' to find out what on your system
still needs it. I can see that perl5 has a perl5_10 variant, and also
that on my system perl5 depends upon perl5.8 directly. Looking into
the actual PortFile for perl5, the variant perl5_10 removes the
dependency on perl5.8 and replaces it with a dependency for perl5.10.
You may need to re-install perl5 with the +perl5_10 assuming no other
ports are dependent upon perl5.8 (again, checked with the dependents
command at the beginning of this paragraph).