port install: Can it keep going after a failure?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Mar 18 05:36:03 PDT 2010

On 2010-03-18 06:05 , Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
>>> Does MacPorts have the equivalent of "make -k", to install, and keep
>>> on going when one dependency fails?
>>
>> $ man port
>>     -p       Despite any errors encountered, proceed to process
>> multiple ports and commands.
>>
>> That should handle it.
>
> I thought -p meant: If I have three commands on the command line,
> proceed to the next one.
>
> What I want is: If A depends on B, C, and D, then failure of B still
> builds C and D.

That's exactly what -p does. If you run "port install A C D" and B fails
as a dependency, it will still install C and D.

But note that build failures are not reported again at the moment and
might scroll out of your terminal buffer unnoticed by you. If using -p,
check that everything is installed what you expected afterwards.

Rainer