port can't find required package 'pextlib'

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 18 18:16:55 PDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 07:40, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2010, at 13:33, Jeffrey Van Myers wrote:
>
>> 1. Snow Leopard v. 10.6.2.
>>
>> 2. New install of MacPorts - package installed with no errors.
>>
>> 3. Ran: port -d selfupdate
>>
>> 4. Got:
>> ------
>> dlopen(/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib, 10): no suitable image found.  Did find:
>> 	/opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/pextlib1.0/Pextlib.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
>
> Your pextlib is of the wrong architecture. Perhaps you installed the wrong MacPorts disk image? Try reinstalling, this time making sure you download the MacPorts 1.8.2 disk image for Snow Leopard (and not the MacPorts 1.8.2 disk image for Leopard or Tiger).

Ok, so now we know from your other thread ("Unable to install freetype") that you had an old MacPorts installation from 2006 migrated to this machine, so that's why your pextlib is the wrong architecture. Once you uninstall all of that and reinstall the proper version for this machine, everything should work.