Looking for git

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 20 11:07:25 PDT 2010

On Mar 20, 2010, at 12:04, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>>> I can not locate this in MacPorts.  Am I overlooking the obvious?  If so, can someone give me the port name please?
>>
>> The port is called git-core:
>>
>> $ port info git-core
>> git-core @1.7.0.2 (devel)
>> Variants:             bash_completion, [+]doc, gitweb, svn

>>                      control system focusing on speed and efficiency.
>> Homepage:             http://git-scm.com
>>
>> Library Dependencies: curl, zlib, openssl, expat, libiconv
>> Runtime Dependencies: rsync, perl5, p5-error
>> Platforms:            darwin
>> License:              unknown
>> Maintainers:          bryan at larsen.st, maccheck at gmail.com,
>>                      openmaintainer at macports.org
>
> curl does not build universal from macports,

Nobody asked about universal here, but since you brought it up, curl in MacPorts does build universal for i386 and x86_64 on Snow Leopard. It does not build universal for i386 and ppc on Leopard and Tiger at the moment for at least three different reasons:

1. http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24001

2. http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24059

3. I haven't filed the ticket yet but I mention it in http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24059#comment:7

> so the git in macports will not build universal.

The git-core in MacPorts will not build universal because it does not have a universal variant. The port says "use_configure no" which disables the built-in universal variant. A universal variant could quite possibly be added, possibly easily, but this is something someone has to investigate and do. I've filed the following ticket for this request:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24141