inkscape compile problem

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Mar 29 07:32:41 PDT 2010

On 2010-03-29 05:53 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 28, 2010, at 22:32, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-29 04:47 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> The patch in comment #4 should NOT be added; further comments later in the bug report (e.g. comment #6) explain how horrible that patch is. We should probably be using whatever fix is being talked about in comment #19 instead.
>>
>> That would be:
>> <http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/trunk/revision/9217>
>>
>> Gentoo is using this patch to fix the issue, which looks simpler
>> (originated at Fedora):
>> <http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/media-gfx/inkscape/files/inkscape-0.47-poppler.patch?view=markup>
>
> Perhaps the Gentoo patch is simpler, but if the one from the official repository works, I think we should prefer that one, since it is the one the developers of Inkscape have already decided to use.

Not only both patches fix the same problem, they actually do the same
thing. Only that the one in the repository does it at configure time
with checks which poppler is being used and the second patch does it at
compile time. This makes it work in a simple way without the need to
regenerate autoconf files. The proper configure based solution (which
has been modified again in later revisions) will be in place with the
workaround.

Rainer