Offer to beta test ports with potential 32 bit Intel Core Duo issues.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 1 10:15:15 PDT 2010

On May 1, 2010, at 12:03, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On May 1, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Steve Morris wrote:
>
>>> FYI the iPhone OS 4 beta 1 and 2 SDKs have already been shown to cause problems building several ports, as such we can't support using MacPorts with them. (We've already been closing tickets filed as such as invalid.)
>>>

>> I guess this limits the usefulness of my offer. However since problems
>> with a Beta SDK may indicate problem that will still exist in a future
>> non Beta version is closing such tickets as invalid the best solution?
>> They may provide valuable documentation and save development time
>> later.

The tickets aren't deleted, just closed, and Google will still index them, so anyone searching for an error described in them should still find them. I hope these are problems Apple will resolve before it releases the final version. But you're right, they might not be. If you or somebody would like to go back through those tickets and file upstream bug reports about them and see what the respective project developers think, you could do so.

> Wouldn't moving the iPhone OS 4 SDK 's out of the way while working with the port command work?

When you download an "iPhone SDK" from Apple, you get a completely copy of Xcode along with it. So the problematic part presumably isn't the actual files used for iPhone development, but the pre-release version of Xcode included with it. You'd have to use the Xcode uninstaller script that's been installed on the hard drive, then install a supported final release version of Xcode, and then (since that version is older than the beta you were using), restart the computer (according to Apple).