uninstall help please

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun May 2 12:39:17 PDT 2010

On May 2, 2010, at 11:38 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On May 1, 2010, at 2:07 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Somewhat frequently I too get about 5 KB/sec (guess that's about 30 kb/sec) from this server. Other times it's plenty fast. This has been going on for awhile:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2008-July/005596.html
>
> It might be interesting to get a wireshark capture (or tcpdump) to try and troubleshoot this some and see if we can figure out what is going on (and if there's something that could be done to make it better).

I would be happy to do this, is there a particularly large file I can curl down while running a capture?  Also perhaps another hostname other than distfiles.macports.org so I can do a side by side comparison?

As it is now, I get really good download rates:

curl -O http://distfiles.macports.org/apache20/httpd-2.0.61.tar.bz2
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 4472k  100 4472k    0     0  1415k      0  0:00:03  0:00:03 --:--:-- 1454k

$curl -O http://distfiles.macports.org/gimp2/gimp-2.6.8.tar.bz2
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 15.5M  100 15.5M    0     0  1564k      0  0:00:10  0:00:10 --:--:-- 1641k

I also just ran mtr to for about 5 minutes, and 0% packet loss, which in all honesty, is unusual, almost all routes will have some packet loss over 5 minutes.  Though I do have a very direct route going from Comcast right to level 3 and then hitting macosforge.org.

For those who get 5KB/s can you post your location, and run a trace from your location to distfiles.macports.org.  For what it is worth, I can get that route to barf on me by upping the packet size, but I also find that is pretty normal and consistent to any route.

How do we know this is not just a bandwidth issue? Ping is used to determine and choose the route, but that has nothing to do with network saturation on the actual box.  Perhaps there is simply a lot of activity on the machine, or network.  What are the specifications of the network this server is connected to?