new build of python?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 14 15:42:03 PDT 2010

On May 14, 2010, at 15:41, Victor Eijkhout wrote:

> Python has been build with gcc 4.0.1, which was described to me as "ancient". Is there a python version build with 4.2.whatever?

gcc 4.0.1 may be a bit old by now, but Apple has made it the default compiler on Tiger and Leopard, so that's what ports build with, unless the port requests otherwise. gcc 4.2.1 is the default compiler on Snow Leopard, and is also available from Apple on Leopard should individual ports want to use it. MacPorts also provides many other gcc versions ports can compile and use if desired. But this is a decision that's made by port maintainers, not users.

> In particular, I have trouble interfacing python to C libraries because python is built with 32 bit pointers, my libraries with 64-bit. Would it make sense for python to start using 64-bit pointers?

I don't know python so I'll let someone else answer.