"port search svn" does not find "subversion"

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Fri May 21 07:08:43 PDT 2010

On May 21, 2010, at 1:34 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On May 21, 2010, at 02:16, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
>
>> "port search svn" turns up 22 ports, but does not turn up "subversion".
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/23159

23159 solves the problem of "svn" not being a usable search keyword by adding that keyword to the "description" so that port search will find them; done in ticket http://trac.macports.org/changeset/67900

Why not opt for a keywords field in the portfile, optional of course.  You have the short and long desc still work the same, so none of that changes, but there is now a keyword based search.

These keywords could also have advised sections, like category, type, etc.  Down the road, this could help better position port pages in google, and beat out that other guy.

port search "graphics, photoshop, image edit, imaging"

as as example, those would be OR and any hit would bring it up.  Debate over each keyword being contains of exact match is up to you guys.  I think exact match is best.

This avoids keyword stuffing the long or short description to give visibility as software picks up nicknames especially acronyms.