Proper way to clean up dependencies?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Fri May 21 11:27:37 PDT 2010

I'd like to know what the proper, intended way to clean up dependencies is.

Specifically, I started to install the new subversion. When I realized
that it had other dependencies, I hit ctrl-C, checked them out, saw
some important ones, and tried to reinstall as +universal. (I don't
need svn as universal, but I  do need it's dependencies.)

This failed; the first dependency had been fetched, and started
configuration as non-universal. Having seen this before, I ran port
clean.

Running port clean on the main port does not clean the dependencies.
That was a surprise.

I would like to know the proper, intended way to clean a port
completely -- including all dependencies -- to reinstall port X when
it failed somewhere in one of the subports.

Details follow:

stbmac:~ Michael$ sudo port install subversion
--->  Computing dependencies for subversion
--->  Fetching apr
--->  Attempting to fetch apr-1.4.2.tar.bz2 from
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/apache/apr
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for apr
--->  Extracting apr
--->  Applying patches to apr
--->  Configuring apr
^C
stbmac:~ Michael$ port info subversion
subversion @1.6.11 (devel)
Variants:             bash_completion, darwin_7, disable_keychain,
                      mac_os_x_server_mod_dav_svn, mod_dav_svn, no_bdb, no_neon,
                      puredarwin, tools, unicode_path, universal

                      be as similar to cvs(1) as possible, while fixing many
                      outstanding problems with cvs(1).
Homepage:             http://subversion.tigris.org/

Library Dependencies: expat, neon, apr, apr-util, db46, sqlite3, gettext,
                      libiconv, serf, cyrus-sasl2
Platforms:            darwin
License:              unknown
Maintainers:          dluke at geeklair.net
stbmac:~ Michael$ sudo port install subversion +universall
^C
stbmac:~ Michael$ sudo port install subversion +universal
--->  Computing dependencies for subversion
Error: Requested variants "+universal" do not match original selection "".
Please use the same variants again, perform 'port clean apr' or
specify the force option (-f).
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: apr apr-util db46
sqlite3 readline cyrus-sasl2 openssl neon serf
Before reporting a bug, first run the command again with the -d flag
to get complete output.
stbmac:~ Michael$ sudo port clean subversion
--->  Cleaning subversion

--
Political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com