Using MacPorts to Make OS X Fonts Render Like Linux

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Sun May 30 21:38:57 PDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 00:29 , Joshua Root wrote:
> Maybe you should ask whoever you heard this from. If you can't
> specify a
> particular technical difference, I doubt anybody can point you to the
> right setting even if it exists.

I suspect he means this (from my .fonts.conf):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
   <dir>~/Library/Fonts</dir>
   <!-- this has legal ramifications; check first -->
   <!--
   <match target="font" >
     <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
      <bool>true</bool>
     </edit>
   </match>
   <match target="font" >
     <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
      <const>hintfull</const>
     </edit>
   </match>
   -->
   <match target="font">
     <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
       <const>rgb</const>
     </edit>
   </match>
   <match target="font" >
     <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
      <bool>true</bool>
     </edit>
   </match>
</fontconfig>

The uncommented entries are the most significant, as they enable
antialiased fonts instead of bitmaps.  Linux distributions usually
enable these by default, but last time I looked in /opt/local/etc/
fonts.conf it was disabled.  (The port has been upgraded since then,
so newer installations may have a different default.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu