atlas depends on gcc43 *and* gcc44 ???

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon May 31 15:34:02 PDT 2010

On May 31, 2010, at 14:48, Chris Jones wrote:

> Does it make sense that atlas requires two different compilers ??
>
> Chris-Jones-Macbook-Pro /opt/local > sudo port uninstall gcc43
> --->  Unable to uninstall gcc43 4.3.5_0, the following ports depend on it:
> --->  	atlas
> --->  	py26-numpy
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend on gcc43 first.
> Chris-Jones-Macbook-Pro /opt/local > sudo port uninstall gcc44
> --->  Unable to uninstall gcc44 4.4.4_1+darwin_10, the following ports depend on it:
> --->  	atlas
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend on gcc44 first.
> Chris-Jones-Macbook-Pro /opt/local >

It doesn't; it requires gcc42 (if you use the gcc42 variant), gcc43 (if you use the gcc43 variant), or gcc44 (if you use neither). If you previously had atlas installed, it used gcc43 exclusively; now, it uses gcc44 by default. Upgrading from the old atlas to the new atlas may not have completely updated your registry. (This happens if you have multiple versions of a port installed -- any dependencies it used to have but doesn't anymore don't get removed from the registry.) You could fix this by uninstalling all copies of atlas, then installing atlas again. Then it will correctly indicate that it only uses gcc44 at the moment. Or if you would rather use gcc43 for both atlas and py26-numpy, and not need gcc44, rebuild atlas with the gcc43 variant.

See also my remark about whether it was wise to change atlas' default compiler:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2010-May/012050.html