xfig / date / libintl problem on a MacBook Pro

Joel Friedman jf at cs.ubc.ca
Thu Nov 4 17:41:36 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

One of our math department IT guys found a fix:

From: http://blog.tsunanet.net/2009_04_01_archive.html
(1) Edit /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf and add this line at the end of the file:
binpath /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
(2) port deactivate gettext
(3) port install gettext
(4) Remove the line you added in step 1.
(5) Re-run the initial command you were running to resume the upgrade of whatever you were upgrading.

This worked and xfig works!  The only problem is that /opt/local/sbin/date
is still broken (but I can bypass that with /bin/date or /opt/local/bin/gdate,
so it's not so bad).

I'd welcome suggestions for a fix.  Again, I've tried uninstalling and
reinstalling, to no avail.

Many thanks.

Cheers, Joel