emacs-app does not find latex

Andre Massing massing at simula.no
Mon Nov 8 06:16:54 PST 2010

Hi!

Den 08.11.10 14.41, skrev Harald Hanche-Olsen:
> + Andre Massing<massing at simula.no>:
>
>> For some reasons, emacs-app does not find my latex installation
>> (Mactex, bin files are located in /usr/texbin).
>> I installed emacs-app together with the auctex package (using
>> +emacs_app +mactex variants)
>> When I run pdflatex via the command menu, I only got the message
>>
>> [...]
>> "\input" paper.tex''
>> /bin/sh: pdflatex: command not found
>> [...]
>> indicating that pdflatex was not found. But the /usr/texbin is added
>> to my PATH variable and I added it as well to the exec-path of emacs.
> Exec-path is irrelevant here, as it is sh that can't find pdflatex,
> not emacs. PATH is relevant, however. Please run
>
> M-x getenv<RET>  PATH<RET>
>
> in emacs and check again that /usr/texbin is in there. If not, maybe
> try (setenv "PATH" (concat "/usr/texbin:" (getenv "PATH"))) ?

Yes, that was an issue, thanks for the hint! Checked it and it did not
contain the relevant paths. So I added
(setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/usr/texbin/")))
(setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/opt/local/bin")))    because
pdf2dsc could not be found (not startet in sh)
(setenv "PATH" (concat "/opt/local/bin:" (getenv "PATH"))) because of gs
(setenv "PATH" (concat "/usr/texbin:" (getenv "PATH")))     because of
latex and pdflatex

But somehow it seems strange me that I have to explicitly add them, isn't?

Nevertheless I don't get preview to run, it just display the typical
stop signs.
No error message was produced.  The last snippet is

----%-------
Output written on paper.pdf (90 pages, 736830 bytes).
Transcript written on paper.log.
----%-------
^^^^^^^^^ This file contains the formula snippets to be loaded into emacs.
and the last lines:

----%-------
Preview-LaTeX exited as expected with code 1 at Mon Nov  8 15:06:18
Running `Preview-PDF2DSC' with ``pdf2dsc paper.pdf
paper.prv/tmp60701CzQ/preview.dsc''

Preview-PDF2DSC finished at Mon Nov  8 15:06:18
Running `Preview-Ghostscript' with ``gs
-dOutputFile\=\(paper.prv/tmp60701CzQ/pr1-\%d.png\) -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE
-DNOPLATFONTS -dPrinted -dTextAlphaBits\=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits\=4
-sDEVICE\=png16m -r110.418x110.502''

Preview-Ghostscript finished at Mon Nov  8 15:06:22
So it seems there goes something wrong during the last steps...
Has anybody else encounter the same problem? And thanks for your patience!

--
Andre