Broken install on new SnowLeopard machine with MacPorts-1.9.2-10.6-SnowLeopard.dmg

Stephen Langer stephen.langer at nist.gov
Wed Nov 17 18:22:13 PST 2010

Your root account doesn't have the right environment (path, etc), but your user account doesn't have the right permissions.  Since you probably don't actually have a root account, I don't know how to give it the right environment...

It might be easier if you use sudo instead of su.  Use visudo to give yourself the same permissions as root when using sudo.  Then you can do root tasks from your user account, but only via sudo, so it's not as risky as actually logging in as admin.   sudo will use your environment, I think, but root's permissions.

 -- Steve