pdftotext Incompatible library version

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 19 01:45:59 PST 2010

On Nov 19, 2010, at 00:12, Robin wrote:

> I am trying to use pdftotext. I have updated my ports, uninstalled and
> reinstalled poppler, but get the following message:
> robin-mbp:~ robince$ pdftotext
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
>  Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/pdftotext
>  Reason: Incompatible library version: pdftotext requires version
> 45.0.0 or later, but libpng12.0.dylib provides version 40.0.0
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> I thought this usually means the dependency package (libpng) has been
> rebuilt since poppler was built - but I have uninstalled and
> reinstalled poppler to perform a rebuild and the problem persists.
>
> Is there anything else I can try?

What is the result of

otool -L /opt/local/lib/libpng.dylib

On my system, it shows that this library has the compatibility version 45.0.0 which is exactly what your pdftotext seems to be looking for. If you have some older version of libpng, upgrade libpng to the current version.

If that's not it, is there perhaps a libpng.dylib somewhere else on your system, perhaps in /usr/local/lib or /sw/lib (which might be interfering with the one provided by MacPorts in /opt/local/lib)?

Do you perhaps have the LIBRARY_PATH, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH or DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables set (which would be a good explanation for this problem)?