gnome-subtitles

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 21 14:00:19 PST 2010

On Nov 21, 2010, at 15:15, Luis Felipe Marzagao/Andamentos wrote:

> I'm a long time Fedora/Ubuntu user and completely new to Mac OS X and to MacPorts.

Welcome!

> I 'm interested to port/to see ported "gnome-subtitles" (http://gnome-subtitles.sourceforge.net/about), a really nice and simple subtitle editing/syncing program, to Snow Leopard, but I don't know where to begin.
>
> Well, actually, I've read the guide on MacPorts site, but I still have some doubts and hope someone could help.
>
> The program in question follows the standard configure, make and make install method.

Then hopefully that will be easy to write a portfile for.

> The dependencies are:

Let's see what we have ports for...

> Mono >= 1.1 (mono to run, gmcs to build)

mono

> Gtk+ >= 2.12

gtk2

> Gtk-Sharp >= 2.12

gtk-sharp2

> Glade-Sharp >= 2.12

I don't see a port for this unless it's part of the glade port.

> GConf-Sharp >= 2.12

Nor this, unless it's part of the gconf port.

> GStreamer >= 0.10

gstreamer

> GStreamer-Plugins-Base >= 0.10

gst-plugins-base

> GtkSpell >= 2.0

gtkspell2

> Enchant >= 1.3

enchant

> I have noticed that *not* all of the dependencies already exist as ports.
>
> So, is it possible to compile the program for OS X? Does it require experienced software engineering skills? Any pointers would help.

I don't know if it's possible to compile gnome-subtitles for Mac OS X, but you can certainly try!

Your first steps should be to discover whether glade-sharp and gconf-sharp are separate from glade and gconf, respectively, and if so, to create ports for each of them. Then you can begin trying to create a port for gnome-subtitles.