gnome starter

io paolodamessina at libero.it
Thu Nov 25 08:09:12 PST 2010

Dear Brad, I pointed out that I am an end user, so that I never could pretend to write an effective documentation.
However, I enjoyed  some very fine pieces of soft from macports, e.g. g95, with its precious but simple control of warnings. I need not gnome neither kde, but I would like experiment with them. If we consider macosX, really only a little of all sofware coming with it is useful and used by an user, that in turn knows little of inner mechanism of osX. I have some difficulty to understand why, if one seeks for an alternative os, that os is awkwardly difficult to invoke. Another disappointment there is when one is bound to make some cleaning after the use of a ported software, that may alter defaults, how in particular often happens when the software uses Xwindow. Porting to me means not only that the software works either as an app of osX or by one (1) command by terminal, but also that is a noninvasive host, able to quietly disappear when it is requested no more. In conclusion, I think that one should say 'well, I ported this soft ' only when the above requirements are satisfied.
Best regards,
Paolo Denti