Python versions, portgroups, and portfiles

Marshall Perrin marshall.perrin at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 29 13:16:17 PST 2010

Hi all,

I've recently switched to using Python 2.7 as my primary python version, using
Macports to install it. I've found however that Macports' system for handling
python versions is a bit cumbersome, since there are separate py26-* and py27-*
packages, and despite the fact that 2.7 is essentially the current version of
Python (for all those who have not yet taken the big rewrite plunge into 3.x),
there just aren't that many ports for py27 yet!   (403 ports exist for py26-,
but only 66 for py27-).

Now, since these are just different interpreter versions, I've found that
essentially every py26-* package I've needed for py27- has been trivial to
re-port: Just create a new portfile, update some '26's into '27's, portindex and
port install. Piece of cake, but sort of tedious. Over the last couple months
I've submitted a handful of these updated portfiles to the macports trac site.
So far only one has been approved and added into the repository for others to
use (py27-scipy).  My questions right now are:

1) is there anything else I can do to help move along the process of getting the
rest of these updated?

2) and more specifically, if I offered to automate a mass conversion of py26-
portfiles into py27- versions, would the community support that effort? (and
would someone with commit privileges help?)   I expect the vast majority of
these packages could be converted to 2.7 in an automated fashion, tested that
they install and operate properly, and then batch committed.

Since 2.7 is going to be a long-term stable version of python (see
http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/2.7.html) it seems like we would want to get
really solid support for it into macports. This is useful for me personally, so
I'd like to help the community with it if possible. Let me know what you think.

 - Marshall