Proxy problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 1 08:44:04 PDT 2010

On Oct 1, 2010, at 10:27, notbot wrote:

> Hi
>
> I hope you can help. I am trying to get MacPorts working from a University with a proxy server.
>
> When I last did this there was no problem and no config required, but that was with OSX10.5, this time it is with OSX 10.6.4.
>
> Selfupdate works fine, but when attempting to fetch a port it fails with a 407 error.
>
> Is there some config required to macports.conf?

There are several proxy-related config variables for MacPorts. From the bottom of my /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf.default:

# Proxy support
# Precedence is: env, macports.conf, System Preferences
# That is, if it's set in the environment, that will be used instead of
# anything here or in System Preferences.  Setting proxy_override_env to yes
# will cause any proxies set here (or in System Preferences if set there but
# not here) to override what's in the environment.
# Note that System Preferences doesn't have an rsync proxy definition.
# Also note, on 10.5, sudo will clear many environment variables including
# those for proxy support.
# Equivalent environment variables: http_proxy, HTTPS_PROXY, FTP_PROXY,
# RSYNC_PROXY, NO_PROXY
#
#proxy_override_env    yes
# HTTP proxy:
#proxy_http            hostname:12345
# HTTPS proxy:
#proxy_https       hostname:12345
# FTP proxy:
#proxy_ftp         hostname:12345
# rsync proxy:
#proxy_rsync       hostname:12345
# hosts not to go through the proxy (comma-separated, applies to HTTP, HTTPS,
# and FTP, but not rsync):
#proxy_skip            internal1, internal2, internal3

If you do not see these lines in your macports.conf, you should spend some time comparing your macports.conf with the macports.conf.default and pulling any relevant changes from the latter into the former. Then you can configure the proxy settings.