pid file can't open

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 3 15:16:30 PDT 2010

On Oct 3, 2010, at 16:07, Peter Schrock wrote:

> I loaded fink and macports to be able to access binaries to help with my use of freeswitch.

Installing MacPorts *and* Fink together is not recommended; they can interfere with one another. You should pick either MacPorts or Fink and uninstall the other.

> come to find out, fink and macports are not supported.

MacPorts is supported by the MacPorts community here on the macports-users mailing list; Fink is supported by their community. Or maybe you're referring to the fact that they're not supported when used together, or perhaps you're saying the FreeSWITCH people don't support the use of MacPorts or Fink (which is fine; they don't have to).

> I tried uninstalling fink and macports and now I am having trouble with freeswitch and opening the freeswitch.pid file. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Here is the error message I keep getting:
>
> Error: stacksize 65532 is too large: run ulimit -s 240 or run /usr/local/freeswitch/bin/freeswitch -waste.
> auto-adjusting stack size for optimal performance...
> Cannot open pid file /usr/local/freeswitch/run/freeswitch.pid.

Well.... I hope this information is not too elementary, but: a PID file is just a text file containing a PID -- a process identifier. When any program starts, the operating system assigns it a PID, by which it can be identified. For long-running programs and daemons, a common custom is to record the PID in a file (often inside ${prefix}/var/run) so that if you need to stop the program later, you can quit the program by its process ID (e.g. "kill $(cat /opt/local/var/run/programname.pid)").

In your case, it looks like FreeSWITCH is trying to start with a stack size that is too large (whatever that means) and therefore does not actually start. Then, when something later tries to refer to the PID file where its process ID is recorded, it fails, because no PID file actually got created, because FreeSWITCH is not actually running.

So.... if you want to use FreeSWITCH, I guess you need to either run the "ulimit -s" command they showed to increase the maximum allowable stack size, or you need to run FreeSWITCH with the -waste flag as they showed (I guess that reduces the amount of stack space it needs). For more information on using and running FreeSWITCH you should probably talk to the developers of that software.