Messed up Perl

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Oct 3 16:37:53 PDT 2010

On 2010-10-04 01:11 , Hal Vaughan wrote:
> So, if I understand, MacPorts basically says, "I'm so important that
> I'm going to override your default settings and take over Perl for
> your entire system."  Isn't that about the case?  (I'm commenting on
> that issue in MacPorts, I hope it doesn't sound like it's directed at
> you.)

You might see this as a issue because you did not request perl to be
installed, but it was pulled in a dependency. Like any other binary
installed with MacPorts, it takes precedence as /opt/local/bin comes
first in the environment variable PATH.

As a workaround you could create ~/bin, put it in front of PATH and
symlink whatever 'perl' you want. While a shell alias seems simpler at
first, it would miss invocation from scripts with '#!/usr/bin/env perl'.

Rainer