Will binaries built in 10.6 still run in 10.5?

Harry van der Wolf hvdwolf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 04:38:48 PDT 2010

Hi,

2010/10/4 Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>

> On Oct 3, 2010, at 22:52, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > I tried this and added "macosx_deployment_target 10.5".  However, the
> wrong compilers are used then.  Instead of:
> >
> >  /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1
> >  /usr/libexec/gcc/ppc-apple-darwin10/4.2.1
> >
> > for Intel and PowerPC respectively, these are used:
> >
> >  /usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.0.1
> >  /usr/libexec/gcc/ppc-apple-darwin10/4.0.1
> >
> > Is there a way to change that and use 4.2.1?  AFAIK, 4.0.1 is only for OS
> X older than 10.5.  When "macosx_deployment_target 10.5" is set, the
> compiler should be 4.2.1.
>
> Apple gcc 4.2.1 became available on Leopard, but was not the default until
> Snow Leopard. In Leopard and Tiger, the default compiler is Apple gcc 4.0.1.
> There isn't a switch in MacPorts to tell it to globally use a different
> compiler; individual ports decide what compiler they should use (which is
> usually the default one on the given version of Mac OS X, unless there's a
> specific reason why that won't work).

I'm the one who asked about the "Building for different version and/or SDK".
I build development and release versions of avidemux as a bundle for the Mac
community and "just" (3 months ago by now) moved to 10.6. I use the
libraries from macports for the dependencies (OT: and I just saw that the
avidemux 2.5.3 Portfile doesn't work at all as gtk is no longer supported in
avidemux. I will try to build a new Portfile also for 64bit as currently
there is a conflict between the macports and system iconv.h ).
Last week I released another avidemux bundle built with the 10.5 setting and
until now I did not receive any feedback that it doesn't work on 10.5 so I
assume it's working correctly.

I simply build with gcc 4.0.1 for i386/ppc and with 4.2.x for 64bit (I also
build for other OS projects). I have seen many, many errors in all kind of
libraries/binaries when trying to build 32bit in OSX using 4.2.1, so I just
stick to 4.0.1. I assume the OSX devs would not use 4.0.1 for 32bit if they
could use 4.2.1. Why put 2 gcc versions in XCode if you could handle it with
one. So I assume it's for a good reason.
(Note that for linux the situation is totally different. It's just OSX
"running behind" in gcc versions).

Harry