Will binaries built in 10.6 still run in 10.5?

Michael_google gmail_Gersten keybounce at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 11:26:32 PDT 2010

> Distributing binaries built via MacPorts tends to be a bad idea:  not only
> do you need to make sure to distribute the files from any dependencies as
> well as your binary, but the result will likely interfere with an installed
> MacPorts or Fink on the installer's machine.

What is a good way to build stuff for distribution?

More specifically, lets say my goal is to build something universal,
package it up, including any frameworks or libraries needed, and make
it something that can be safely distributed?

Right now, there's one package I'm trying to work on that does this,
and it uses a very non-trivial script to do a lot of otool
modifications to library and framework paths as it builds the dmg.

--
Political and economic blog of a strict constitutionalist
http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.com