Messed up Perl

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Oct 4 13:58:42 PDT 2010

On Oct 4, 2010, at 4:31 PM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

>> How is having a *_select problem going to be easier for people than using the full path to the >binary they want or having the user modify their $PATH to do what they want?
>
> Because the select is done by macports when installed; the user just
> runs the program, and now gets the macports version.

What you're not understanding is that the situation you are describing is the minority situation. Your proposal is to change things to make it work the way you want at the expense of everyone who wants it to work the other way.

From experience for the project, many more people are confused by the way you describe than are confused by the way it is now.

If you have an idea that doesn't involve inconveniencing the people who like the 'it just works' nature of the current solution, then I for one would be excited.

--
Daniel J. Luke